Here’s another recipe from Chef Fabio. It’s very easy and instead of using plum tomatoes I am using pureed tomatoes since I am lazy to puree the sauce when it’s done.
You’re probably asking what is marinara sauce? Well it’s a popular Italian sauce made with tomatoes, onions, and herbs. The sauce is popular because it is generally quick and easy to prepare. The sauce’s simplicity also makes it a common, versatile base for many Italian dishes.
The Perfect Tomato Sauce
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Cook time: 10 Minutes Yield: 2 Cups of Sauce
Smash 6 cloves of garlic with the back of a knife.
Over medium heat, cook garlic in 3 Tbsp. of EVOO until golden brown.
Add tomatoes and generous pinch of salt and pepper.
Cook until thick (about 8 to 10 minutes) and is no longer watery in consistency.
Add 3 more Tbsp. more of EVOO, turn to higher heat.
Crush tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
Cook until the oil turns red. This will tell you the sauce is done!
Cook’s Note: The sauce is very versatile and can be used with any pasta; added to meats, fish, vegetables; or topped on toasted crostini, breads, pizza crusts.
Tips and secrets in episode:
• Slice tomatoes with a very sharp knife to keep in the juices.
• How to refresh overripe tomatoes.
• For sauce, 90% of the time canned is better because it contains more flavor. Use canned variety packed in tomato juice not water
• Crush the tomatoes yourself as one of the last steps to maintain deep flavor.
• Prepare an Italian tomato sauce with olive oil. When the oil starts to turn red in color the sauce is finished cooking.
I think this sauce is superb because it allows you to add other herbs in the sauce depending on what dish your adding it in. Simply using garlic and olive oil is great idea. At times simple is better. I love this sauce.
Ciao for now!